Community news for Bitterne Park and nearby areas since 2005


sign.jpg
dragon.jpg
swanshead154x100.jpg
townhill_park_community_centre_sign.jpg
tesco.jpg
You are Here: Home News Council approval for Townhill Park development
16 December 2017

Using our shopping links costs you no extra, but helps support the site. You can shop with well known traders through bitternepark.info. Find out more here. 

 

Get free updates straight to your inbox! Sign up below for our weekly(ish) email digest, and don't miss a thing! You can unsubscribe at any time.

Council approval for Townhill Park development PDF Print E-mail
Monday, 27 March 2017 07:52

meggeson avenue hoarding2The council has approved the next steps in the regeneration of Townhill Park.

 

meggeson avenue hoarding2

Work is planned to start later this year on Plot 1 on the corner of Meggeson Avenue and Townhill Way.

Plot 1 will comprise 56 homes to be developed and owned by the council and available at affordable rents. The planned completion is spring 2019.

The council says the approved proposal for Plot 2 includes “at least 213 homes with a mix of around 45-55% affordable housing and the remainder let for private rental, allowing the council to meet the needs of those who don’t qualify for council housing but are looking for good quality homes to rent from a landlord they can trust whilst generating a revenue stream to help the council maintain public services.”

Cllr Simon Letts (Lab), Leader of Southampton City Council, said: "We are very pleased to be starting the delivery of regeneration plans that will provide a mix of affordable and market housing and essential community improvements to Townhill Park residents.

"Regeneration of Townhill Park will also enhance the economic, social and wellbeing of its residents, with such measures as traffic calming of Meggeson Avenue and the creation of a new central Village Green and the improvements to linked green spaces and Frog’s Copse."

townhill regeneration cgi source SCC pr

Speaking to the Daily Echo, MP Royston Smith (Con), voiced concern that the project had taken so long.

He said it had been lying empty since 2011, and that people could have been living there for the last six years, and paying rent to the council.

The Echo also reported that it is “unclear” whether someone is still living in the near-derelict building on Plot 2, although it reported the council had said agreement had been reached to relocate him.

support us by subscribing 120px

We're reader & advertiser funded. If you like what we do, please help us do more of it and subscribe or donate: click here to get started, and support your local independent website. Thank you!

 

Please log in to post comments. If you don't yet have an account, it's quick to register here

support us 120px

rss colour light grey open source 32pxtwitter-32facebook-32